Today was one of those days. If ever I needed my mother shield it was today.
What, I hear you ask, is a mother shield? My Mother Shield is that little invisible force field that fends off
all the awful things that my children say from time to time when they don’t have the words to vocalise how they feel or what is upsetting them and it just comes out like a diatribe.
Here are some of the things my mother shield has had to deflect today and the proper translations:
- Mum, I hate you…… Mum, I am so angry with you
- You’re so mean…….I am angry that you won’t let me play with my remote control car outside in the street when it’s dark
- I’m not ever going to cuddle you again, EVER………I am upset now and need to calm down
- You are the worst mother ever……….Why can’t I stay up late when I am rubbing my eyes, whining and can barely stand up?
- I’m finding another Mummy………Please see previous attack
- You never play with me anymore, you should leave………I would really like you to play with me like we did yesterday. Right now.
- Why don’t you just find another little boy to be mean to……….Again, the remote control car issue ( see previous)
- You don’t understand me, go away……..I’m really upset that you’re not taking my side and you should really be speaking to The Princess now about what SHE did
- You never listen to me, EVER……..(See previous)
- I don’t want you, I want Daddy…………Maybe if I ask Dad, HE will let me
Sometimes these little attacks do chip away at my Mother Shield and I have to hide my face away for a little tear. Some days I hide to giggle. It all depends on how stressed I am or what is happening at the time.
You see, I must have my Mother Shield on….because I shed all the Mother Guilt and I need something to absorb all those angry words floating around out there.
- Mother Guilt (stayoutofmyhead.wordpress.com)
- The last generation raised on guilt (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Neglected Children, Messy Houses and Guilt (parenting.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Do you feel parenting guilt? (timesunion.com)
- Why I won’t be nominated for mother of the year (stayoutofmyhead.wordpress.com)